Sports are one of the greater joys of life, injuries are not! Whether you’re hurt or your issue is getting worse, learn what’s causing it, what to avoid and how to stop it
What falls into this category?
- ACL/surgery rehab
- Meniscal tears
- Hip or shoulder labral tears
- Muscle strains and tears
- Rotator cuff injury
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Fractures, broken bones
- Stress Fractures and other overuse injuries
What are the symptoms?
- Sudden, severe pain (can be directly after trauma, or can progressively worsen)
- ‘Popping’ sound
- Swelling post-injury (usually around injury site)
- Bruising (surrounding injury site, sometimes above and below)
- Loss of strength or motion
- Chronic issue or pain
- Joint visibly out of place
When should I get treatment?
When you’ve just hurt something and need to know what it is. When you’ve had something niggling for a while and it won’t go away, or if it’s getting worse. Learn what it is, what to avoid (to prevent making it worse) and which measures need to be taken for the best outcome. We hate people missing training or exercise, so if possible we’ll always keep you involved in your favourite sport.
What treatments help?
Treatment will heavily depend on the timeframe of the injury.
- You may need to be referred for imaging, or for a specialist opinion
- Recommend certain exercises to do and which ones to avoid
- Manual therapy where appropriate to assist surrounding areas to function more optimally to take the pressure off the injured area